Monday, August 1, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath Ma

Ma Joad is not what you would expect from a typical mother during this time, While most mothers would allow the men to make all the choices and such, Ma swiftly tales control of the family after sensing Pa's unwillingness to make the tough choices. Such as when the Wilson's car broke down, causing them decide their plan of action. When Ma disagreed with the plan, she quickly made it clear, and proposed her own ideas, then enforced them. "The Jack handle flicked hungrily back and forth in Ma's hand. "Come on." said Ma. "You made up your mind. Come on an' whup me. Jus' try it. But I ain't a goin'; or if I do, you ain't never gonna get no sleep, 'cause I'll wait an' wait, an' jus' the minute you take sleep in your eyes, I'll slap ya with a stick a stove wood." (Steinbeck 169) She also isn't afraid to stand up to the police to help the family. "Ma's face blackened with anger. She got slowly to her feet. She stooped to the utensil box and picked out the iron skillet. "Mister," she said, "you got a tin button an' a gun. Where I come from, you keep your voice down." She advanced on him with a skillet. He loosened the gun in the holster. "Go ahead," said Ma. "Scarin' women. I'm thankful the men folks ain't here. They'd tear ya to pieces. In my country you watch your tongue." (Steinbeck 214) She cares so much for the family, that she was even willing to sacrifice her sanity by staying with the Grandma's dead body all that time, while using it as an excuse to safely get into California. "Pa said, "then Grandma's bad?" Ma raised her eyes and looked over the valley. "Grandma's dead." They looked at her, all of them, and Pa asked, "When?" "Before they stopped us las' night." (Steinbeck 228) Thus showing that Ma is a truly caring mother to her family, and will do anything to ensure their survival.

Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment