Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fahrenheit 451 Women

Women play large roles in the story, as well as small roles in it. A few women who do some larger roles would be Clarisse, and Mildred. They are both catalysts that move the story along. Clarisse sparks the idea of books being good into Montag's head, while Mildred attempts suicide, and calls the firemen to report Montag and his books. All important roles, some more helpful than others. Another large role player person is the woman who burnt herself alive along with all of her books when the firemen caught her. Once again she was only a catalyst whose only purpose was make Montag start thinking that maybe his actions are contradictory to his moral compass. Some lesser people are the friends whom Mildred has over, and Montag spews poetry at them, pretty much causing his downfall. So in retrospect these women cause Montag nothing but trouble, and what does that say about the author. I don't know you tell me. I also managed to notice that there were no women with Granger, and I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I'm right. So I'm going to go on the assumption that I am right due to several backup skims of that section of the book. Which leads me to my next point. The point where I state that the book only has one female that is actually good, and most of the bad people as I refer to them are more female than male. The only males are Beatty, and the firemen, while the good males are Faber, Granger, and the entire society that hangs out with Granger. I find this strange, although I could be horribly wrong, and probably am. But that changes nothing, actually that changes a lot of things, but most of them are unimportant. My underline point here is to ask the question does this novel promote sexism? My answer is no, and if you have a problem with that then get over it. Also I don't know who you is, but deal with it.

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451;. New York: Ballantine, 1953. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment