But after they had sailed that course about half the day, they fell amongst dangerous shoals, and roaring breakers, and they were so far entangled therewith as they conceived themselves in great danger; and the wind shrinking upon them withal, they resolved to bear up once again for the Cape and thought themselves happy to get out of those dangers before night overtook them, as by God's good providence they did. (Bradbury 65)
And so they managed to safely make it to their destination, but instead of being all like we were so good at this, and the only reason we are here is due to our own amazing skills. Instead they decided to be all like god is so good at this, and the only reason we are here is due to his amazing skills, because we had nothing to do with this at all. Which once again brings up the question of why god decides to kill off his own followers for no good reason? Seriously, if I was on that boat and I knew that god was helping us I would complain that he allowed so many of them to get sick and die, as opposed to saving them. But this isn't about me, because it's about Bradford and his misplaced trust in god. So when the next chapter is called starving time, I would hope that my previous points would make a little more sense, as an all powerful being could easily rectify the situation. "That in two or three months' time half of their company died." ( Bradbury 65) And so I rest my case. That being that I don't understand why these people make such claims about their god when he seems to not even care about them at all.
Bradford, William. "Of Plymouth Plantation." Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Ph.D. and Douglas Fisher, Ph.D. Glencoe Literature. American Literature ed. Columbus: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2009. 64-67. Print.
Bradford, William. "Of Plymouth Plantation." Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Ph.D. and Douglas Fisher, Ph.D. Glencoe Literature. American Literature ed. Columbus: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2009. 64-67. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment