Miller, Arthur. The Crucible: a Play in Four Acts. Harmondsworth, Eng.: Penguin, 1976. Print.
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Reflection blog #6
So I have officially read the fourth act in that book we have been reading which I will not be stating its name because I am on a mac and that means that I can't use control I to activate italics and I'm too lazy to click on the icon. So I need to compare it to the short story about the guy who was way to into reading the thing for the audio book. The two aforementioned books are quite similar in several ways, as they are both heavily religious. The one with the very angry god thing is religious in the way that it is in all senses of the word a sermon, and by that I mean that it legitimately is a sermon. If you don't know what a sermon is than only the flying spaghetti monster can help you. And I'll tell you what he would tell you, and that is that your not special and you should get over it. Now I'm being a religious zealot and I should stop, but I don't want to, but thats too bad because I can't stop myself from stopping and what not. So yea sermons are religious. The one that is a play is religious because they mention god every other sentence along with the devil, which are both religious icons. "Parris: Praise God!" (Miller 139). See they are both religious. More specifically, they both spout nonsense about how god is the final jude of their life. As the whole sermon is about how you should live you life with god or burn in hell. And in the play during the final act, Proctor starts spewing relevant information on the subject, as he doesn't want to confess his witchcraft and states that god will judge him and what not, or thats what I took to be what he was saying. Another thing they have in common would be the sheer amounts of terrorism that are displayed, ignored, then pinned on a scapegoat. The sermon one clearly uses the fear of hell as a tool to get people to go to church, then everyone goes along with it and no one calls them out for being plebeians. Then they all go about their way blaming the devil for all their problems. The one that is a play shows off its terrorism as if it were a good thing. As they use the fear of death to make people confess to things they had not done. Then no one seems to care except maybe the people who might rebel later on but we are ignoring them for being contradictions, then they blame everything on the devil, and witches. So yea, terrorism. Why do they do these things, well I would have to make a guess that they fear that which they do not understand. The angry one fears the people denying god, and the play fears what could happen if they did not try and remove witches from society. To simplify this I will say that they merely fear change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment