Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TMOJFFTN

Douglass may or may not be similar or different than Thoreau in the way of philosophy. This literary criticism written by Harriet Beecher Stowe (I was unable to find any other name in the thing) quotes Harriet Beecher Stowe (I don't get it either) in saying that Douglass' philosophies revolve around "good work ethic, adhering to Christian notions of morality, and being properly ambitious"(Stowe). Also that he is an Abolitionist (Stowe). The Cristian notions of morality seems to check out with this statement from "The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro" (or TMOJFFTN as I like to refer to it as.) that states "This, to you, as what the Passover was to the emancipated people of God." (Meaning). Then this statement helps to reinforce that theory "Act, act in the living present, Heart within, and God overhead." (Meaning). This basically confirms that previous accusation. Also the first part about acting helps to prove the other part of his philosophy of good work ethic, so I will have to say that I agree with this literary criticism, no matter how odd it seems. So his philosophies are similar to that of Thoreau, who believed in less government and more people based (insert word I'm looking for). This can bee seen in his writing of "Civil Disobedience" which I have the strangest feeling that I'm going to be quoting a lot over the next month and a half. This statement from his previously alluded work of words should be used as direct support for the claim that I just made. "That government is best which governs least" (Thoreau). As you can see they are both similar in the ways that they want people to do more and that that is what they want because I said so is probably about as accurate as what I have written in this sentence so please refer to the quotes that were previously quoted because they are far more reliable than what was just said.


"The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro by Frederick Douglass." History Is A Weapon. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.

Stowe, Harriet Beecher. "Frederick Douglass." InThe Lives and Deeds of Our Self-Made Men. Quoted as "Frederick Douglass." in Bloom, Harold, ed. The American Dream, Bloom's Literary Themes. New York: Chelsea Publishing House, 2009. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts On File, Inc.

"Thoreau's Civil Disobedience - 1." The Thoreau Reader. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment