Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TGA

After briefly skimming "The Gettysburg Address" by Abraham Lincoln, then actually reading the whole thing I realized that it shares a lot in common in the areas of the blatantly obvious topic that our pirate overlord whom has retired has thrust upon us like some sort of lazy teacher who has gotten tired of teaching. (no offense). Any ways as I am not allowed to form my own opinions, and am forced to resort to conforming to the opinions of any random literary criticism that is satisfactory, I will find a literary criticism that exemplifies the point I will soon make. Well I must say that I have failed horribly at obtaining a criticism that expresses what Lincoln's philosophies are, as the only ones I could find all just praises him as if he were Allah praise be onto him. Now to be risky and try a google search. That failed as well, so it looks like I'm gonna have to fly blindfolded here and avoid crashing into a mountain. "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."(Gettysburg) This one statement tells me that Lincoln shares the same philosophies as Thoreau because this statement made by Lincoln seems to be going in the direction of small government led by the people, which is the same as Thoreau. "That government is best which governs least" (Thoreau). And this quote raises its head and takes pride in the fact that it is the most used quote ever of all time and at the same time it instills that they both don't seem to be very fond of government, woo. Now I believe that I have made my point, and I still need a few more words so I need to throw in this extra sentence to help boost my word count to the appropriate amount because I am out of points to make and other stuff like that derp.


"The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln." NetINS Showcase. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.

"Thoreau's Civil Disobedience - 1." The Thoreau Reader. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment