"And Ain't I a Woman" by Sojourner Truth is a plea for equality for Whites and Blacks, as well as a free the slaves kind of thing, which are both good things. It reflects Emerson's religious philosophy that was mentioned in the previous blog and again now when this criticism states that Emerson believes that
"a persons inner voice is God given" (Brugman). This speech has hints of being religious significance to the author when it says that "When I cried out a mothers grief none but Jesus heard me" (Sojourner). So it is similar in a way to Emerson's beliefs and philosophies in that way that I just stated. Of course this person seems to be against the religious society as well as she states that "If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down, all alone together women ought to be able to turn it right side up again" (Sojourner) That is a bit off from Emerson's philosophy, although from my one sentence worth of expertise of Emerson's philosophies I can say that I should probably get a better grasp on his philosophy. I reread his "Self Reliance" and this statement "It must be that when God speaketh he should communicate, not one thing, but all things; should fill the world with his voice; should scatter forth light, nature, time, souls, from the centre of the present thought; and new date and new create the whole." (Self). makes me believe that he was very religious as he basically just said that God is all powerful and stuff. This speech also seems to reflect Thoreau's self worth kind of Philosophy that he displays in this statement from his "Civil Disobedience" when he states that"That government is best which governs least" (Thoreau). The speech shows this when it states that "I have plowed and planted and gathered into barns and no man could head me" (Sojourner).
"Thoreau's Civil Disobedience - 1." The Thoreau Reader. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.
Brugman, Patricia. "Individual and Society in 'Self-Reliance'." McClinton-Temple, Jennifer ed.Encyclopedia of Themes in Literature. New York: Infobase Publishing, 2011. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts On File, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment