Wednesday, March 14, 2012

EDP

The writings of Emily Dickinson have been heavily influenced by the writings of Emerson and that other guy who no one really likes and tends to call himself Thoreau and has a great deal too many vowels in his name. Well I suppose I should say that neither of them are particularly liked, not just too many vowels guy, or Thoreau and his whole thing about stuff and what not. Now Emerson and Thoreau have these things called philosophies which at this point should not have to be elaborated on but copyright and free words keep me from being too lazy, which is good as putting the philosophies in is like an avalanche of free words, anyways their philosophies consist of being abolitionists, they really like small government, they are all about individual worth and stuff, and they have a tad bit of Christian values, which I'm not entirely sure if that is true or not, but you have not brought it up to me so I will assume it is right. "individuals have a right—even a duty—to resist unjust government actions."(Thoreau) "That government is best which governs least" (Thoreau). "It must be that when God speaketh he should communicate, not one thing, but all things; should fill the world with his voice; should scatter forth light, nature, time, souls, from the centre of the present thought; and new date and new create the whole." (Emerson) “I cannot for an instant recognize that political organization as my government which is the slave’s government also” (Thoreau). Now this Emily Dickinson poem that was found that goes by "God made a little Gentian" seems to show some of those values that I just mentioned, I mean just look at the title, it says god. Need more evidence, well it also says "Creator shall I bloom"(48). See it now I do and you should to because you are relatively intelligent and stuff about all the bagels. Exactly.

"Thoreau's Civil Disobedience - 1." The Thoreau Reader. Web. 07 Feb. 2012.

"48. “God Made a Little Gentian.” Part Two: Nature. Dickinson, Emily. 1924. Complete Poems." 48. “God Made a Little Gentian.” Part Two: Nature. Dickinson, Emily. 1924. Complete Poems. Web. 14 Mar. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment