Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath question 8

Another one of the historical accuracy measuring things question. The novel is historical fiction, that means that it is based around real things that happened, but with fictional characters. Not only that, but I already did a blog on the same question. So a quick summary. The dust bowl actually happened. People actually Migrated west. When they got to the west, they were greeted with the same greeting an American would get if they visited Russia during the Cold War. That is to say a hostile greeting. I have no idea how you would answer a question like this for a book like Brave New World where it takes place in the future, seriously, I want to know. What responsibilities does the author believe exist between various groups in society? "Each member had his duty and went to it without instruction: children to gather wood, to carry water; men to pitch the tents and bring down the beds; women to cook the supper and to watch while the family fed. And this was done without command." (Steinbeck 195) This pretty much sums that question up. He has clearly stated that the children are to do the searching and fetching of various items, the men are to build houses, and the women are supposed to cook. It's like I'm reading a book filled with stereotypes. It's easy to tell that Steinbeck believes that the boss should have complete and total control over his workers, as that seems to be one of the concepts that is shoved in your face. I'm not going to say he believes that for a fact, but it is implied a lot. I would say that if Steinbeck were to have been influenced by anything, it would be the concept of he lived during the dust bowl. This could be wishful thinking, but it makes sense to me, so I'm sticking with it. If you think about it long enough it will start to make sense.

Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment