Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath question 5

This novel captured history pretty well. It takes place during the 30's while the dust bowl was ravaging the lands, and making the land inhospitable. The Joads being farmers during this time are forced to leave their home and travel west in search of work, as most people did during this time. When they reached the fabled west, they were greeted with oppressive force, and inhospitality. This being historically accurate as well, I would bet something on this book accurately reflecting history. As for what I would bet, well I doubt you actually care, so I won't tell you. Just know that it isn't money, or bacon. As I was saying, this book puts the perspective of the average migrant family during this time into perspective. That said I should also note that the term Okies was actually used during this time, and was not something that Steinbeck made up. Considering this is historical fiction I probably didn't need to state that, but it should be noted that that is something that I learned, not that you care. As for the book's thematic significance, which was also question three's topic, death is a big winner here. As I wrote a three hundred word post about death in this book less than an hour ago, I don't feel like doing it again, so I am moving on to the symbolic significance of this book. So a few symbols in the book are family, cops, and the bank. Family because the ever present family is important thing is constantly being shoved in your face, as with each family member who leaves due to death, or wanting to be one with nature, the Joads situation gets continually worse. Although that may be because the economy is in shambles, and no one seems to be able to find a job until the end. But still there is an entire chapter devoted to saying how family is important and what not.

Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment