Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006. Print.
Sunday, July 31, 2011
The Grapes of Wrath Grandpa
Grandpa Joad was one of the more free spirited characters in the story. "Well sir," he said, "we'll be a startin' 'fore long now. An' by god, they's grapes out there, just a hangin' over inta the road. Know what I'm a gonna do? I'm gonna pick me a wash tub full a grapes, an' I'm gonna set in 'em, an' scrooge aroun', an' let the juice run down my pants." (Steinbeck 93) When I said free spirited, I may have mistaken it for senile, but its more of whatever you want to interoperate it as. And so I will interoperate it as being both senile, and free spirited. Any ways the Grandpa was the head of the Joad family, that is until his very untimely death that had nothing to do with him being drugged. Well while he was the head of the family at a time, it was not entirely the case up until he died of completely natural causes. As Pa took the role of head of the family at some non disclosed time of his life, but none the less, Grandpa was still a highly respected member of the family and had much say over their decisions. "Grandpa was still the titular head, but he no longer ruled. His position was honorary and a matter of custom. But he did have the right of first comment, no matter how silly his old mind might be." (Steinbeck 101) Then Grandpa decided he didn't want to go to California, and being the unreasonable senile man he is, the other family members were forced to subdue him with sleeping medicine. Then just a few short chapters later Grandpa had a stroke and died. This being the first death, caused a bit of hysteria in the family, and implemented doubt into their feeble minds. Now it may seem as though I'm implying that Grandpa's death wasn't exactly natural, and it may or may not have something to do with him being drugged. This is because you are completely correct. Although I should note that I don't know for a fact that the two incidents were related, and that this is all just my speculation, also that this is simply my opinion on the matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment