Monday, June 27, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea Question 2

This question revolves more around the causes, gains, and losses in the book, and when I say more, I mean completely. My powers of deduction are currently not as great as they should be currently, but I'll try to deduce as much as possible in what little time I have. One of the more obvious losses in the story that I was able to deduce, would be the loss of the fish. This was caused by sharks eating it, and the sharks did not stop eating the fish, because the Old Man was not well enough prepared to be able to stop them. "You should have brought many things, he thought." (Hemingway 110) Using my powers to deduct the obvious, I have concluded, using the transitive property, that because the fish was eaten by sharks, and the sharks weren't stopped because a certain protagonist wasn't prepared, the fish was eaten because the old man did not come prepared for every situation that he could ever face ever. Thus proving that the Old Man is very incompetent and should be fired. Considering he doesn't have a boss, that is hard to do. On to the next drawn out point. That point being the Old Man's loss of the boy as a fishing partner. This caused by a series of very unsuccessful fishing attempts. Thats enough about losses, now lets move on to the gains, where the good stuff isn't, or maybe it is. One gain that was gained throughout this experience, was the experience of living through this experience, which was worth the experience of experiencing it. That said, this adventure was probably a very valuable experience in the Old Mans life, which is almost over, so he wont be able to do much with it. Anyways, he probably gained some life lesson from all of this, which he will share with the boy and what not. Or he learned nothing from this adventure, because he already knew everything, and this was just a big waste of time, but most likely that isn't true. If it was true, there wouldn't be a book about it.

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the sea. New York: Scribner, 2003. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment