Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The old Man and the Sea Question 4

In a book there is typically someone who is regarded as a hero. In this book, the here could be many characters, like the fish, because the fish in the book did many heroic things. Including proving to all the other fish that it is possible to drag a fisherman's boat for several days. The hero could also be the Old Man, whom the book is about. To me he's more of a protagonist than a hero, but thats close enough for me to think of him as a hero, as opposed to the fish. So the Old Man will now be regarded as my hero. My hero shows off many interesting traits in the book, such as his optimism. "Think something cheerful old man," he said. "Every minute now you are closer to home. You sail lighter for the loss of forty pounds." (Hemingway 104). Yes this is the same quote from the other post, but it proves the point very nicely. The Old Man is very optimistic, and that amazing trait that I wish I had, helps him complete his expedition into unknown lands while trying to catch the heroic fish. My hero can also be summarized as being carefree, mainly because he goes through life not caring about money and other things that are similar to wealth. All he cares about is fishing and the great DiMaggio. "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio." (Hemingway 17). To counter his great trait of being extremely carefree, the Old Man can also be very determined. When I say very determined, I mean Very X 10^7 determined. Which is scientific notation for being more determined than any man should be. He chased a fish for several days. You can't get any closer to obsessed than this. It should also be noted that the old man loves turtles. "He loved green turtles" (Hemingway 36) That is something we have in common, so I thought I'd add it in here.

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the sea. New York: Scribner, 2003. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment